Thursday, June 24, 2010

Books Are My Drug

I have an addiction. And I don't wanna get better. My addiction is books! So this post is to mention some of my favorites for kids and adults.
First, the baby set. The little adorable plump love bundle set!
I love the board books of Charley Harper's ABC's and 123's. Charley Harper was a naturalist and an author. Check out his work at http://charleyharper.com/. I also enjoy Nikki McClure's from A to Nap. You can see her work here http://www.nikkimcclure.com/. and of course, board books of Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown and The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle are always nice!
As far as picture books go, my current favorites are Wave by Suzy Lee, A Dignity of Dragons by Jaqueline K. Ogburn, and Nicolas, Where Have you Been? by Leo Lionni.
For second graders The Sisters Grimm series is really popular. They are fairy tale detectives, and have magical fun solving crime.
For middlers I have enjoyed a series of mysteries by Blue Balliet (currently the Middle School Mystery Club at Nightbird Books is reading them). Chasing Vermeer, The Wright 3, and The Calder Game. They all involve puzzles, codes, and art!
Also The Book of Elsewhere by Jacqueline West is a new one that is gret for upper middlers (10-12 year olds)
Of course there are a lot of teen novels out there, but Alice in Wonderland is a perennial favorite. Also The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier.
And for us older folks; Serena by Ron Rasch was a lush, suspenseful surprise. And Just Kids, Patti Smith's transcendent memoir about her early days in New York City with fellow artist Robert Mapplethorpe is the best book I have read this year. Beautiful!
For now that is all I can post...there is a book calling my name. You can, if you are in fayettevlle, find these and more at Nightbird Books!

2 comments:

  1. Just read all the past posts here, and will be looking forward to your next.

    Yes, "facilitator." That is how I always saw it, and it worked well.

    And John Holt. I spent a day in the 70's at a small, intimate conference with him. I went having no idea who he was, just that a friend (who was sponsoring the event) wanted me to attend. His warm, wise, powerful presence I can still feel-and for that I am thankful. The tee shirt from the event was "the world is my classroom."

    As for unschoolers now, Dayna impresses me in the same way he did (though she is way to humble to ever take that in). Her site is http://thesparklingmartins.blogspot.com/

    Again... I'll be looking forward to your next post.

    All my best to you/y'all on the wonderful world of unschooling.

    LeAynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Leaynne! I loved the Martins' blog!

    ReplyDelete