Thursday, June 17, 2010

So Far....

Sol and I looked up pi, both the Greek letter and numeric wunderkind. We also looked up the Fibonacci sequence. All pretty much over his head mathematically, but it sated his interest for now. Aley and I wrote a letter to Turpentine Creek full of her questions about tigers. Arlo is doing his sounds and we have started playing math games (Go Janice Van Cleave) together when he feels like it. Ivy is reading all the time and thinking a lot about horses. We love the board game Tweedledum, a gorgeous Alice in Wonderland board game we found at a thrift store a ouple of years ago. We watch Nova and Nature and have long talks, especially Arlo and I. Lately he wants to know all about how trees help us breathe. So I answer as best I can and look for a book.
The number one thing is I am NOT a teacher, I am a facilitator. They are working so much out for themselves, it is downright inspiring. It encourages me to put my heart into my own passions. We all talk about that, "following a calling", "pursuing your dreams", "do what you love"....but then we wind up either sucked into the same old route as our peers, or ill equipped to do those things because we have multiple choiced our instincts and intuition into oblivion. I am watching my kids daily gain the confidence to pursue knowledge, to remain inspired, and to believe that learning is EVERYWHERE, and exciting, and fulfilling, and neverending.
It is so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment