Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day One

So today was the first day of "the brave new world", in which I let my children be in control of their education. Full time. Gulp.
So I thought I would include a few of our unconventional learning "happenings" of the day, just for posterity's sake, and as a sweet sort of record of the evolution of our family.
Aley and Arlo in the backseat-
Arlo: What IS a fossil.
Aley: A fossil is like a bone buried deep in the ground.
Arlo: Our bodies are full of fossils?
Aley: No, Arlo, fossils are like bones from dinosaurs that are very very VERY old.

Me, taking a deep breath-
Me: So , what do you think of this whole unschooling thing?
Sol: I think it is good, because I can, like, learn things at my own pace. Like I like to study about something until I am all the way done with it and then move on to something else.
I think I want to read Hamlet.
Me: What about math? Is that something you wanna focus on right now?
Sol: Not really...I kinda just want to learn about pi.
Me:We can do that

The drive home ended with Aley wanting to write a letter to the woman who founded Turpentine Creek to ask her al about big cats, and Ivy napping in the back seat after exhausting herself with 30 minutes of karaoke at my mom's house followed by devouring the latest issue of Stone Soup magazine.
This folks, is how the learning happens for us.
I feel so inspired....

No comments:

Post a Comment